Tuesday, April 15, 2008

So, God, Should I stone her?

'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads"-Leviticus 20:13

today the most random yet unsettling news got to me, my sister wants to or is going to tell her softball team friends she's gay. Now you might be think well that good she's coming out to everyone she knows and so on and so forth, but no this is NOT good. Now you're probably think I"m just being mean and homophobic and heck maybe deep inside I am (though I"m sure I'm not), but I have two solid reasons why she shouldn't. One: we go to a christian school, now you all are probably thinking "well if they kick her out there being judgmental and that's not christian like" or " There obviously not Christians if they do that, there are gay Christians". But I've some news: one yes they are judgmental and two they are Christians. Now let me explain how that works, God, the First Cause, the creator, what ever you want to call him (sorry if your not religious, but please bare with me), is the ultimate judge and most people who call them selves Christians (or at least me) believe the Bible is the inspired word of God. In the Bible more specifically Leviticus 18:22 says " 'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable'", this obviously is saying that a man shouldn't have sex with another man and, because in bible times it wasn't important to mention women, the a woman shouldn't have sex with another women so let's just say I say it's wrong. Even if someone thinks something is wrong as a christian they should not pass judgment and (for all you bible thumpers out there) 1 Corinthians 4:5 says ,"Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God." It clearly says God will judge everyone, and since He is perfect and just and fair, He will do it the best. So, yes it would be wrong for them to kick her out but that's on them. Two: I Think the only reason she wants to be homosexual and identify as a gay person it because she sees her self as undesirable to guys. She is heavy but if someone were to base whether they like someone or not soley on looks they are shallow. I know for a fact that not a year ago she was seriously crushing on this guy (I'm not just saying this to make myself feel better, she admitted it to me) he was a friend of hers but he had no interest in her at all. After months of knowing he wouldn't like her back we stopped talking as much and now we don't talk much at all. This, I know, sounds very snobbish and exaggerated but from what I now know she was watching (The L word other lesbian and gay related movies) I know the environment associated with homosexuals is portrayed as a loving open one, I'm not saying it's not, but I'm thinking she figures "why settle here with all these stuffy,black and white viewed people when there's an open and colorful community so close by?" I know what she's feeling but also you have to consider one she has gone to a small christian school all her life and that is pretty much all she knows. Unlike myself , and I'm not saying it's her fault here, I've ventured beyond our sheltered chunk of earth and explored mostly through books, magazines, observations, and personal contact and found that everything (and I mean everything) is very sectioned off and put away yet chaotic and everywhere. I know now that homosexuality is a way that people set themselves apart but I also have acquired the knowledge that right now being gay is very popular. (Personal Note: I don't think that homosexuality is genetic but I think that some people do have and inclination to the same sex because they are comfortable with what is familiar and find beauty in their body and see that same beauty, perhaps amplified in another of the same sex.) Today communities are very one minded and by this I mean people are encouraged to be that same so when one realizes the he is not the same and has no desire to be the same as everyone else he chooses the easiest way he can find to be different which is, today being homosexual. All along the very uniform one-thing-at-a-time mind of the community encourages everyone who doesn't want to be the same to be different in the same way. So, first off as a Christian I ask firstly God, because I believe in his divinity over me, and secondly my fellow man, because we toil and love and live together on this earth, Should I stone her? What can I do? what would you do? I need help, this one's tough.

No comments: